My North Face Jester Review
When it comes to ergonomically-designed backpacks that do not compromise utility, The North Face makes the best of them. Perfect as a day-hike backpack to hit the trails with, a school backpack to hold all your books and binders, a travel backpack to bring you from one place to another, and an everyday backpack that will basically hold all your day-to-day essentials, The North Face Jester does not jest in its functionality while bringing you durability, comfort and style.
The Features – No Joke
- Two Compartments: The Jester has two compartments for your every need. The roomy, zippered main compartment has an 1830 cubic inch (30 litres) capacity which can very easily hold your large books and even larger binders inside. This makes Jester the backpack of choice among high school and college students. The secondary compartment is made for organization for your other stuff.
- Shoulder straps: The shoulder straps are FlexVent injection-moulded, which helps a lot in easing the weight off, especially when the backpack is packed with heavy content. The FlexVent injection mould creates flex zones that reduce clavicle hot spots, pressure-point strain and neck pain.
- Padded back panel: The stitched back panel is padded, adding more comfort to the back. It also goes a long way in easing the strain on the back.
- External bungee system: Need to attach jackets or extra outer layers? The Jester comes with an external bungee system for just that purpose.
- More pockets: It comes with an organizer pocket at the front to hold your mobile phone, iPod or portable music player, waller, ID and other small necessities. Two side mesh pockets are also provided for your bottled refreshments, and they are wide enough to hold even mugs.
- Removable hipbelt: The hipbelt works very well in shifting some weight off the shoulders and back. When you are not carrying a lot of heavy load, you can conveniently remove and keep it.
- Reflective logo and design: The details of the bag are made with reflective material, which comes especially in handy in the dark or evenings when illumination is poor.
The Reviews – All Kidding Aside
This is the perfect present for students or young working professionals. One user claimed that “a 19-inch laptop could fit inside the main compartment. It is roomy, it is sturdy, and the base is made in such a way that it does not get ripped or abraded from constantly being put on the ground.”
Others also remarked on the “key clip that can hold all your keys and the pockets for virtually everything, from calculators to cell phones to wallets and candies… everything.”
The Complaint – if you can call it that
The one key feature in the main compartment being able to hold large books and binders is its having no internal divider. For some, that is also a downside, especially those who want to keep their laptop in it as well. It can hold a laptop. However, there is no internal divider or sleeve to put it in so that the only way you can store a laptop in there is if it has its own protective sleeve or padded case.
The North Face Jester was chosen as the ConsumerSearch 2010 Best Backpack Award, specifically for Adults and College Students.
Product Info and Specs
Material: 600 D Polyester, 1200 D Polyester
Size: 18.5 x 13 x 7 in / 47 x 33 x 18 cm
Weight: 850 g / 1lb 14 oz
Capacity: 1830 cu in / 30 L
Hipbelt: Yes, removable